Four Years Repeated Three Times=12 Years
History is taught Chronologically. Science is taught in the Days of Creation Order.
Download the Year 1 Overview with resource lists here. The PDF is Internet linked to the resources.
- Year 1 History: Adam to Abraham, Mesopotamia, Ancient Egypt, Ancient Israel, Ancient Greece, Ancient Rome, Messiah
- Year 1 Science: Creation, Light, Energy, Matter, Motion, Electricity
- Year 2 History: Early Church, Vikings, Middle Ages, Renaissance, Reformation
- Year 2 Science: Weather, Oceans, Plants, Geology, Astronomy
- Year 3 History Exploration, Colonies, New Nation, Civil War, American West
- Year 3 Science Ocean Animals, Birds, Insects, Land Animals
- Year 4 History: Industrial Era, WWI, Depression, WWII, Holocaust, 1960 to Present
- Year 4 Science: Anatomy human body
We provide preplanned unit studies for Year 1. You can use Heart of Wisdom methods with any curricula. You don’t really need a preplanned unit study.
Year One Unit Studies
We provide the unit studies for Year One because most ancient-history studies (even many Christian-based texts) concentrate on the pagans in ancient times, ignoring God’s people. Most homeschool parents do not have this Israel focused education background.
For example, Heart of Wisdom’s Ancient Egypt unit the focus is on Joseph, Moses, the Exodus, and God’s people (rather than on the pyramids and gods of Egypt). HOW’s Ancient Greece and Rome units focus on the Israelites fighting against idolatry under Greek and Roman rule (rather than on Greek mythology and Roman gods). Ancient History: Adam to Messiah includes all 7 history studies listed above chronologically. It includes Bible, history, geography, literature, government, composition, agriculture, religion, science, economics, and more. The lessons are full and require minimum preparation.
Recommendations for Year 2, 3, and 4
There are many, many fine preplanned studies that are appropriate for years 2, 3, and 4 from other publishers. We are working on specific list for each year now and will announce via email when they are complete. Here are examples of the unit studies we recommend:
- Homeschooling in the Woods American History Studies
- Apologia Young Explorers Science Studies
- Teacher Created Thematic Unit Studies
You have the best manuscript existing for teaching and instruction! All scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness (2 Timothy 3:16).
Is the Bible enough if you are teaching a doctor, attorney, accountant, architect, etc.? Do you want them to be a wise, righteous doctor, attorney, accountant, architect, etc.? The Bible is the only place you can find true wisdom and righteousness.
- Begin with God’s Word—build your foundation like the wise man who built his house upon a rock (Matthew 7:24).
- Pray for direction.
- Have faith God God will provide.
- Wait on God—enjoy the journey!—be excited about what He has in store.
God’s will is to lead us to the Promised Land of our homeschool journey, but we’ll only relax and enjoy the journey if we understand His plan for getting us there. A lack of understanding will result in confusion and bewilderment.
You can schedule by faith with confidence because God is reliable. If you ask Him he will show you–His grace, His mercy, His dependability. God promised to strengthen and equip you; to guide you in every situation; to meet all your needs; and never to leave you. He will consistently kept these promises. Have you asked Him to lead you in your homeschool? He will.
God has a plan for each of us, and He will lead you to the resources you need. We have listed hundreds of books on the topics contained in the four-year plan, divided by categories and years.
Curl up with your children and a living book. Teach them to love to learn!
Ready to start? Go to Create a Heart of Wisdom Year One Package
We help you get comfortable with this approach providing the preplanned studies for the first year and guide you to other studies for the remaining years. The following prepared, 4-Step lesson unit studies are available from Heart of Wisdom:
HOW History Unit Studies
HOW Science Unit Studies