Science> Land Animals>Animal Classification Links, Videos and Lesson Plans
- Animal Classification – Student will be able to understand the main terms and broad categories of animals with the JungleWalk lesson plan. Grades K-2.
- Verterbrate Classification- Students will learn the different broad categories of Vertebrates, e.g., fishes, amphibians, reptiles, birds and Mammals. Grades 2-3.
- Animal Classifications from Discovery School- Without introducing classification system,students explore how t animals are classified by their physical characteristics. Discovery School. Grades K- 5
- Animal Alphabet – In this lesson, students will be researching different animals, one for each letter of the alphabet. They will classify their animal as a mammal, a bird, a reptile, or an amphibian. The animals habitat, as well as its interaction within its habitat, will be researched. Students will identify the species as endangered, threatened, or extinct; carnivore, herbivore, or omnivore. A description of the animal, its enemies, and how the young are produced will also be researched. This information will be used to create a page for classroom book. Grades 3-5.
- Plant and ANimal Classification – Students identify species of animals in Snyders’s painting. Research the organisms identified to determine their characteristics and define their kingdom, class, order, family, genus, and species. Investigate links between specie; Practice using the Internet as a tool for gathering and synthesizing complex data. Grades 9-12.
- Animal Classification (PDF) - This lesson is designed to be used at a visit to the zoo. During the visit to the zoo, students will practice identifying animals using their knowledge and understanding of taxonomy, phylum characteristics, and binomial nomenclature. Grades 6-9.
- Animal Scavenger Hunt