18 Reasons Homeschoolers Love Heart of Wisdom
We have completed several polls concerning the Heart of Wisdom teaching approach, and the results show the top reasons why homeschoolers choose Heart of Wisdom’s materials:
- Our Bible-first focus. Read our philosophy.
- We teach children to love to learn. Read about Charlotte Mason’s methods.
- We believe in focusing on children’s gifts and talents. Read about Delight-Directed Learning.
- We teach to all four learning styles in every lesson. Read about the Four-Step Lessons.
- Minimal preparation: most of the work has been done for you. HOW unit study lessons are ready to use with no more than a quick overview.
- HOW lessons are systematic, presenting history chronologically and science in the order of the days of Creation. View our Scope and Sequence.
- We believe in teaching the same way that teaching is outlined in God’s Word. Read about Ancient Greek vs. Biblical Education.
- We use real, living books, full of fascinating and colorful information which are chosen to inspire, educate, and entertain you and your children.
- It’s an excellent value. The more children you have the more you save.
- The Internet links save hours of time. See our new Link Library.
- Our lessons are oriented to a Christian worldview. See Four Questions Reveal Your Worldview.
- Our ancient history unit studies focus on the Hebrews (as opposed to other curricula which focus on the Egyptians, Greeks and Romans).
- Our literature focuses on the classics and biographies of godly men and women. View our definition of classics (free 31 page download)
- Godly character is taught through HOW units, especially in the Life Skills units.
- HOW lessons offer a wide variety of hands-on and writing activities.
- The Heart of Wisdom store offers shopping convenience. See Homeschool-Books.com
- The HOW approach saves time; parents with children of several ages can teach most subjects to all of them together. See Teaching Multi-Ages.
- We offer lots of materials and free samples online to help you make a decision. Heart of Wisdom Free Book Excerpts
Reasons People May Not Choose Heart of Wisdom
Our main book, The Heart of Wisdom Teaching Approach, is a helpful guide examining what the Bible says about teaching and learning. It explains how to use a combination of several successful homeschool methods. It is intended to be used like a cookbook–adapted to your family’s needs no matter what curriculum you decide upon. You can download 60+ pages from this book here.
We also offer unit studies. To help you to make an informed decision, we offer this list (based on feedback we received from customer’s reasons for not choosing Heart of Wisdom). It in no way is meant to imply that our unit studies are the only worthwhile choice. Everyone must choose based on their individual family’s needs and situation. We all go through different seasons of homeschooling and needs change. We pray this list is helpful
Someone may not want to use Heart of Wisdom materials if they:
- Want a non-religious program. All of our lessons are Bible-focused. Our goal is to see Christ in every lesson. There is no way to leave off part of a lesson and not see God in our studies. Our approach focuses on Bible first daily. Read our Statement of Faith.
- Prefer self-teaching programs with minimal interaction. Heart of Wisdom is structured so parents are involved (Parents often learn as much as the children). Read about the Four-Step Lessons. Parents spend the most time leading steps 1 and 2 and overseeing childrens’ activities in steps 3 and 4.
- Prefer a traditional classroom-type environment, with quizzes, tests and grading. Our approach is a structured unit study (4-Step Lessons) with options for different learning styles.
- Feel most comfortable by following a traditional scope and sequence. We recommend and encourage (whatever curriculum you use) to follow the Holy Spirit (see Scheduling by Faith) and the children’ delights. Read about Delight-Directed Learning.
- Want to study American history each year. We don’t. Click to view our Scope and Sequence.
- Want to focus on the Greek classics of “Great Books.” We don’t. Read our definition of classics.
- Want to physically see materials before buying. I wish we could meet you at a curriculum fair but we are too busy writing. We provide free sample lessons online
- Want or need telephone support. Read what we offer instead.
- Prefer a workbook approach. Some of our lessons include links to work pages but this is not a workbook approach.
- Need lesson plans for grades K-3. Our approach is for grades K-12. We offer lessons for grades 4-12. For grades K-3 we recommend following the 4-Year Plan using the Charlotte Mason approach of reading aloud living books on history and science topics. Read about a Sample K-3 Day here.
- Need to know now what you will use in the future. We provide the Year One package with lessons. We give recommendations for Years Two, Three and Four recommendations as possible choices (there are many good programs available). See recommendations for Years 2-4
Still Worried About Your Making Curriculum Decisions? There is no reason to worry! I can make one sincere promise. If you pray about your choices–God will lead you. Remember, You Have the Greatest Curriculum Available! You have the best manuscript existing for teaching and instruction! All scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness (2 Timothy 3:16). Is the Bible enough if you are teaching a doctor, attorney, accountant, architect, etc.? Do you want them to be a wise, righteous doctor, attorney, accountant, architect, etc.? The Bible is the only place you can find true wisdom and righteousness.
- Begin with God’s Word—build your foundation like the wise man who built his house upon a rock (Matthew 7:24).
- Pray for direction..
- Have faith God that will provide what you need.
- Wait on God—enjoy the journey!—be excited about what He has in store!
The key to understanding God’s plan for the journey is in knowing how He thinks. God doesn’t think the way we do, but we always try to relate to Him according to our way of thinking. He’d rather we understood the way He thinks so that we can enjoy fellowship with Him. Using Heart of Wisdom unit studies is just one option for following the four-year suggested course. God has a plan for each of us, and He will lead you to the resources you need. “This is why I tell you: do not be worried about the food and drink you need in order to stay alive, or about clothes for your body. After all isn’t life worth more than food? And isn’t the body worth more than clothes?… Can any of you live a bit longer by worrying about it?… And why worry about clothes? Look at how the wild flowers grow: they do not work or make clothes for themselves. But I tell you that not even King Solomon with all his wealth had clothes as beautiful as one of these flowers. It is God who clothes the wild grass – grass that is here today and gone tomorrow, burned up in the oven. Won’t be all the more sure to clothe you? What little faith you have!” [Matthew 6:25, 27-30]
The Heart of Wisdom Teaching Approach: Bible-Based Homeschooling
The Heart of Wisdom Teaching Approach is for all homeschoolers who want to make the Bible the center of their school day. This giant 500+ page book provides you with the methods, program, and resources for a course of study where students spend half the school day studying God’s Word and the other half studying God’s world (academics). Students study history chronologically and science in the order of the days of Creation. This book will encourage, motivate you and instruct you, step by step, how to give your child a Bible-focused, comprehensive education from preschool through high school; one that will train him or her to read, to study, to understand, to love to learn and, most importantly, to desire and seek true wisdom. This approach can be used for all grade levels.
When homeschoolers are asked about this book, one word continues to come up over and over–Wow! Read the excerpt today to see what all the wow is about.
- The Heart of Wisdom Teaching Approach ( 60-page excerpt PDF File)
- Start reading the Ebook today! $17.00 Add to cart
- Order the bound book. Retail $34.95 NOW $27.95 Add to cart